Sunday, August 22, 2010

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Watching a loved one lose their mind is never a pretty sight...but sometimes it makes for an interesting adventure. One that, hopefully, you take only seldom. Tripping down the rabbit hole has its advantages...and coming late to the tea party makes for interesting conversation.

When I set out to take my father on an errand, I was decidedly unprepared for the men in the white van. I'm still trying to figure out how (as my father puts it) they are able to videotape so completely our surroundings, edit it all together with what they want us to see, and get them projected onto the windows of my car so quickly. One thing is for certain...we have to lose them before we head back home.

Who needs LSD?

The painful loss of my father this way causes me to pray for filmmakers of comedic expertise. Drop my father into Who Framed Roger Rabbit...or Get Smart. Let the villains be of the Pink Panther variety, or like those from some Mike Myers film. Easily defeated by Allen "Powers". Here's hoping the Almighty Cecil B DeMille will hear my prayers!

Dearest Cecile in Hollywood
Hear my prayer
Let my Father have the best of agents
Keep him safe according to SAG
Help him remember his lines
And let his stunt double take the fall
Give him his due credit
And ensure him top billing
Hold his place at the Oscars
Have his limo waiting early
Let Leno give him his due
And Letterman too
And forgive me that rhyme
Help him to know our love
To feel our hope
To hear our applause
To see our smiles
And carry him through
To the rolling of the credits
This I pray in the names of
CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, Warner Bros,
Paramount, Miramax, Universal
And all other major, independent,
Commercially viable, and artistically valid
Studios
Amen

Sara Jade Woodhouse

2 comments:

  1. I remember the day my dad died. I remember sobbing and heaving and thinking there would never be a time I would not be crying. But I also remember laughing. I can't remember why we did, or what it was about, but we did laugh. With tears still in our eyes, but the laughter was there none-the-less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad and mine will have left their mark on every part of our hearts. Thank you Chelsea.

    ReplyDelete